Find materials and practical illustrations of classroom practices through documents and videos.
Projects and Learning Situations
Projects and learning situations provide a way allow children to draw from their world of play and their life experience. These are purposeful, meaningful, and challenging situations and they engage all aspects of learning: psychomotor, emotional, social, language, cognitive and methodological. Go to page
Observation, Evaluation and Reporting Tools
In preschool, observation is the favored means of evaluation. Here you’ll find the what, when and how to observe as well as report card inserts that take into account the requirements of preschool education reporting.
Evaluation and reporting on competency development
Various reports, written communication examples, and competency-based grids are available.
- First written communication Download
- Example of a report card insert Download
- English and French Second Language Progress Report Download
- 4-Year-Old Kindergarten: Competency-based Observation Grid Download
The Kindergarten Development Profile (KDP)
"Observation is the favored means of evaluation: it fosters and respects the learning process and focuses on the children's attitudes, behaviours, processes, strategies, and productions." The KDP is an authentic assessment tool that teachers can use to help observe and track their student's progress in an ongoing manner.
- Competency 1: Performs Sensorimotor Actions Download
- Competency 2: Affirms his/her Personality Download
- Competency 3: Interacts Harmoniously with Others Download
- Competency 4: Communicates Using the Resources of Language Download
- Competency 5: Constructs his/ her Understanding of the World Download
- Competency 6: Completes an activity or project Download
The KDP was designed by a team of Quebec Preschool educators and consultants. Learn how it can be used as an authentic assessment tool to help track a student's progress in an ongoing manner and how it can be used to assist teachers in providing differentiated learning for all their students.
Literacy was once known simply as the ability to read and write. Today, it’s about being able to make sense of and engage in advanced reading, writing, listening and speaking. See how to target literacy development to involve these many facets in a variety of natural, spontaneous, as well as planned situations. Go to page
See the Quebec Reading Connection to find Kindergarten book suggestions for ELA and ESL Go to site
English and French Second Language Learners
Second language learners in our schools are of two types: children whose first language is not English, English Language Learners (ELL), and children whose first language is not French, French second Language Learners (FSL). View videos illustrating the phases of language acquisition and get practical information and support resources. Go to page
Mathematics and numeracy
Mathematics games and activities can be done in natural, spontaneous and playful situations. Here are such activities to develop numeracy, both in English and French as well as videos illustrating the what learning can be observed in the different learning contexts created when implementing these activities.
Mathematics Through Play in Kindergarten
A set of 36 activities with reproducible materials to help teachers develop numeracy through natural, spontaneous and playful activities. They cover 6 areas of numeracy development: mastering the counting sequence; identifying, writing and representing numbers; associating a numeral with the number of objects in a collection; developing the ordinal sense of numbers, composing and decomposing numbers into their parts; classifying and recognizing/making patterns.
- Mathematics through play in Kindergarten: Activities Download
- Mathematics through play in Kindergarten: Reproducible material Download
- Mathematics graphic organizer: Making predictions Download
- Mathematics graphic organizer: Reflection Download
Activités et matériel en français
Voici des activités et du matériel reproductible en français pour développer la numératie chez les élèves de la maternelle.
- Repérer et développer les compétences numériques des élèves au préscolaire : banque d'activités
- Éveil aux mathématiques : activités d’apprentissage et matériel reproductible. Activités créées par des enseignantes de la CS Saint-Hyacinthe Go to site
Steam in Kindergarten
In 2017, LEARN consultant Christiane Dufour worked with three experienced kindergarten teachers from the Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board (Christiane Karamanoukian, Loretta Cianci and Natalie Losier) to develop a play-based approach to STEAM that is compatible with the level of development of Preschool Education children as well as with the spirit and the letter of the Preschool Education Programme. As a result of that year-long project, four sequential case studies emerged.
Go to page
Robotics in Kindergarten
If you’d like to implement a robotics project in your classroom, you will find here all the materials, instructions and printable resources you need. As well, videos illustrate how you could organise the implementation in your classroom and suggests related learning activities before, during and after. Go to page
Special Needs and At-Risk students in Kindergarten: Teacher Toolkit
Learn to work with special-needs and at-risk students or simply with problem situations in your class the same way experienced special-needs teachers do. Get help to clarify the problem, find practical ideas about what to do, and document your interventions like a pro and begin the process of requesting support for a child if needed. Go to page
Shared Resources from the Field
Preschool educators are always creating and collecting materials and ideas. Here are some resources shared by colleagues.
Here are a few suggestions and ways to organize and manage your classroom.
- Easy Cooperative Learning Structures for Kindergarten Students
Four cooperative learning strategies that are well adapted to Kindergarten.
Author: Terri Saba, EMSB consultant Download
- Classroom Organisation
Information about basic routines, the physical environment and other classroom considerations. Go to site
Children’s Books and Literature
Here are a few books you can download.
- Books to Support Transitions Download
- Books for Art in the Classroom Download
- Book and Songs to Support English Language Learning Download
- Books and Songs on the Theme of Robots Download
- Books to Support Emotional Development Download
- Books to Support Social Development Download
- Quebec Reading Connection Go to site
Provides information about an extensive selection of quality literature from Quebec, Canada and beyond. Although no links are made to the Preschool curriculum, advanced search allows you to choose K as a level.
- Livres Ouverts Go to site
- Share your favourite book lists. If you have a facourite collection of your own, we'll be happy to post it here. Contact us
Templates, Organisers, Printable Materials
Browse and download various portfolio tools, activity suggestions, and reproducibles.
- Portfolio Reflection Printables
Use them to support children's reflection after an activity or project and then include it in the child's portfolio. Editable in .doc format. Download
- Home Activities
Weekly send-home sheets that invite the parents to do "homework activities" with their child. They are quite different from the "fill-in the blanks/write on the line" ones that are sometimes used. They target Competencies 4 and 5 while showing parents how they can support their child's development in simple ways. Editable in .doc format. Download
- Mathematics Activities Reproducible Material
These materials are made to go with "Mathematics Through Play in Kindergarten" but can be useful in a variety of other mathematics activities. Download
- Project Graphic Organisers and Reflection Tools
For Robotics and other contexts Download
- Cognitive Development (Competency 5):
Graphic Organisers and Reflection Tools Download
- Development of Work Methods (Competency 6):
Graphic Organisers and Reflection Tools Download
- Four-year-old Kindergarten Illustrated Portfolio dividers Download
- Share your favourite resource
Do you know something we don't? Do you have a resource - books, CDs, sites, articles, documents, or your very own good activity or project idea? Please let your colleagues know. Just contact us to tell us about it.
- Interactive White Boards
Some tips, tools and resources Go to site
Suggestions for K-appropriate applications, how to manage and use them in a kindergarten-friendly way. Go to site
- Images and sound banks Go to site